Saturday, June 7, 2008

Products I feel like mentioning (and the Koran)

Product #1: Plug-in mosquito repellent. Mosquitoes buzz near my ear every night within 5-10 minutes before or after I fall asleep. I have gotten up too many times at 3am, put my glasses on, waited a moment for my eyes to adjust to the glaring light, and went mosquito hunting. They've really disrupted my sleep. This thing better work; I bought the big package with 72 inserts, each good for 12 hours. The girl in the store took the thing out of the box and demonstrated that you put a little flat thing into the plug-in warming device, then plug it into the wall. And I actually thanked her for her help. In China you are NEVER at a loss finding a salesperson in a store to help you. There's practically one in every aisle, bugging everyone, ready to demonstrate mops and food processors and cell phones and ...

Product #2: Triple-ply toilet paper. No they won't demonstrate that, but I just wanted to say that it's all 3-ply. That's just how nutty it is over here on the other side of the planet.

Product #3: Milk in bags. At first I thought they were odd. Now I think they're quite handy. Wait, let me take a picture for those of you who don't know what I mean.



I know what you're thinking. "Why does she have a Koran?" I just noticed that after posting it and I'm not going to take all my milk back out of the fridge and pose it again just to avoid the question some of my loving Christian family or friends will be wondering. My answer is... Why not? It's a book. I read about half of it because I wanted to know more about my Uyghur friends and see for myself if it says to have a lot of wives and go around killing everyone. I feel I understand their religion pretty well now. I'd be glad to discuss it if you like, in a nice friendly way.
:)

Allah is with those who restrain themselves.
Quran, 16.128

Yep, that's what it says. Now you know. Well, I know. You still may not, actually. Depends on how much you wanna trust your source.

Islam is to terrorists as Christianity is to the KKK.

I said that.

SO ANYWAY, the BAGS of MILK!!!!!
The can is Lulu, an almond drink. It's REALLY good.
The cup thing is "black soymilk" from 7-11. Also really good.
The bags, from left, are chocolate milk, walnut milk, regular milk, chocolate milk, and soymilk with wheat powder.

They also have peanut milk, "breakfast milk", which has egg and wheat powder and sugar and is a little thicker. And soymilk, also in several varieties. I don't even like regular plain milk. I drink the chocolate or soy milk.

Why do I like the bags?
1. They're small and convenient and don't need to be refrigerated. You can toss one in your bag and later, at any time, tear off the corner with your teeth and have chocolate milk.
2. The expiration date is like 6 weeks from now. No pressure.

I guess 'juice boxes' are the same, but I just never used them in that way. Everyone refrigerates everything in the US. I have come to not mind at all if all my drinks are room temperature, even chocolate milk.

I thought maybe the packaging is wasteful, but I think a bunch of little thin bags isn't too different from a big thick plastic gallon jug. And they get recycled.

Go look at more products, some with amusing labels or comments from me, in my album "FOOD and random products".

No comments: