Tuesday, June 3, 2008

My XXL caffeine-free underwear

In Chinese underwear, I’m XXL.

That's EXTRA EXTRA LARGE.
I should be embarrassed to announce that to the world, but they’re NOT THAT BIG. In the US I'd probably be "medium", but I'm in China where it seems about 85% of females are my size or smaller. But there are a LOT of Chinese girls/women with larger rear ends than I have even if they're shorter, so I don't really get it.

But more importantly, I want to share with you the design on these undies. I’ve learned to not make fun of bad translations and odd words until I look them up; it may be a British way to say it; or a word from another language. I have to keep an open mind lest I look like a fool for laughing at something that makes perfect sense to a Greek person…

...or an old caffeine-sensitive person....

"At today high prices its amazng th mone you save - switching from cofee to postum!"

I looked up "postum", thinking it might be latin, or nonsense. It's not; it's this:



It's a naturally caffeine free hot beverage from Kraft that was around for 112 years but miraculously avoided TV, magazines, radio, the kitchens of everyone I've ever known, and my ears. Did you ever hear of it? Well, it stopped being manufactured last fall, sorry to disappoint all the Postum fans; though they probably heard this news last fall while the majority of us were still ignorant and "Pre-Postum".

Hmm. You learn something new everyday. So now, about making fun of those underwear..... ah what the heck, I still can. Why would they put an ad for Postum on underwear? To remind you what to drink when you wake up after sleeping in your underwear? And what's that other gibberish? Is it another language? Random letters strewn together? And my butt's not THAT big; in fact I've lost about 10lbs here in China. I can even wear white baggy pants without feeling self-conscious. I have a pair; they're "capri-length" and have white embroidered snowflake-flowers on them.


Yes, I bought those underwear.
How could I not?
Look at them.

I'll wear it with my shirt that says "panda is a lot of booms of person from 1972... friend - rough".

(ooh, and with the snowflake-flower pants! Just wait til I come back; I'm going to be SO fashionable!)

No comments: